Sole Representative Overseas Business Newspaper News Agency Broadcast Employees
An applicant from Pakistan can apply to go to the UK as a representative of their business in Pakistan. This category of visas is for the representative of company which is planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for the parent company or as an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organization, posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.
The applicant must meet eligibility requirements.
Validity of visa
Sole Representative of an Overseas Business Visa is granted for an initial period of 3 years and in due process may be able to extend visa for another 2 years. After the applicant has been in the UK for 5 years, he or she can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK and eventually qualify for British Nationality.
The applicant can during the stay in the UK
- Work for the business,
- Bring the family (‘dependents’) to the UK,
- Extend the visa multiple times,
- Apply to settle in the UK after 5 years legal residence in the UK.
However the applicant cannot
- Work for himself or any other business,
- Stay in the UK if the sole representative arrangement is ended by the business,
- Switch to this visa from any other visa category,
- Get public funds, during the stay in the UK.
Eligibility for Sole Representative
To be eligible for this visa the applicant must:
- Apply from outside the EEA,
- Have enough money to support him or herself without help from public funds,
- Can meet the English requirement to A1 skills level,
- Be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose headquarters and principal place of business are outside the UK,
- Have extensive related industry experience and knowledge,
- Hold a senior position within the company (but not be a major shareholder) and have full authority to make decisions on its behalf,
- Intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK, e.g. a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary.
Knowledge of English Language
The applicant may need to prove knowledge of the English language at the time of application.
The applicant can prove knowledge of English by either passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening or having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognized by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD.
- A Representative of an Overseas Business visa costs for now is £610 (High Commission). This fee is subject to revision by the Government.
- An employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organization visa cost for now is £610. (High Commission). This fee is subject to Government changes.
- In addition the applicant must pay the healthcare surcharge as part of their application.
The applicant’s family members (‘dependents’) can go to the UK as dependents by making separate application/s.
A ‘dependent’ is your husband, wife children under 18 years. The family members must pay the healthcare surcharge as part of their application.